Mt. Thompson Memorial Garden’s heritage-listed West Chapel was constructed in 1934 along with the other main buildings. In 2007, Mt. Thompson Memorial Gardens set aside funds for an extensive restoration of the West Chapel.
The West Chapel’s original features included walls lined to a height of seven feet in black and dove grey Queensland marble, and floor designed in Terrazzo with marble surrounds.
A flight of two marble steps gave access from the chapel to the chancel, in which a marble catafalque was built to hold the coffin. The West Chapel’s main decorative feature was a mural painted by Brisbane artist William Bustard. All of the chapel's original features were intact, with the exception of Bustard’s mural.
During the intervening years, changes in design and architectural styles meant that some of the West Chapel’s features were modified, including the addition of pew seating and a change to the chancel’s configuration.
During the restoration, pews were removed from the West Chapel and replaced with single chairs, more in line with Mt. Thompson Memorial Gardens’ earlier days. The original marble floors and lead lighting were faithfully restored and the catafalque was returned to its original configuration.
Families can now appreciate the West Chapel’s beauty as its architects intended. The chapel is wheelchair accessible.