80 Years of Service
Over the course of 80 years we have seen all sorts of changes. One thing that has remained constant is the commitment from many businesses to serve their local communities and this is an idea that has defined Mt. Thompson Memorial Park.
Opening in 1934, Mt. Thompson was originally known as Brisbane Crematorium and was the first of its kind in Queensland. At the time, cremation was not nearly as common as it is now. Much of this was due to the ban of cremation by many Christian denominations, including the Roman Catholic Church. In fact, Mt. Thompson Memorial Park was the only crematorium in the Brisbane area until 1970, several years after Pope Paul VI lifted the ban on cremation for the Catholic Church.
From the beginning the park has focused on welcoming families and loved ones while providing a sanctuary where reflections and thoughts can flourish and resonate in a tranquil and inviting environment. Throughout the years family and friends have gathered to commemorate and celebrate the past, share thoughts and reflect back on a lifetime of memories.
Mt. Thompson has served as the final resting place for many dignitaries including John Lavarack, the first Australian-born governor of Queensland, Sir Arthur William Fadden, the 13th Prime Minister of Australia, and many others. There is also a dedicated war grave memorial section, which has been on the grounds since 1939.